am no longer a sponsor for National Honor Society. Please see Mrs. Bockhacker or Mrs. Baltzer if you have any questions.
New members: We induct new members in September of each school year. Prospective candidates must have a minimum GPA of 3.6 and complete an application packet by the deadline. No late applications will be accepted. Applications will be available around the second week of the new school year. You will receive a letter “inviting” you to apply.
- Dues of $35 must be paid by each new member. The dues pay for your t-shirt, pin and certificate, and honor collar for graduation. This is a one time only fee. This fee is paid online at https://dcsdk12.revtrak.net/tek9.asp?pg=rw_CHS
- Once that link is open, click on Field Trips and then National Honor Society should be on the bottom. Dues must be paid by October 15th.
Transfer Students: Your membership (service and GPA requirements) in NHS needs to be verified from your previous school. And a transcript must be provided. It is important to note that we do not weight honors classes here at Chaparral or in any Douglas County high school. Weighted honors classes will be “unweighted”. Our members pay a onetime fee of $35 to cover induction costs, t-shirts, and graduation collars. You will be responsible for a portion of that fee that was not previously collected.
Membership Info: The sponsors are Laura Bockhacker and Rachel Baltzer in Math Office. All members must complete 12 service hours and 6 tutoring hours each academic school year and maintain a 3.55 cumulative GPA to maintain membership. New senior members must complete an additional 12 hours of service. These hours can come from anywhere.
- Service Hours-At least half of your service hours must be through a Chaparral sponsored event (in our feeder). The other half of your service hours can be done through church, Parker Task Force, etc. Keep watching your email for more info. Complete this NHS Service Form when you do your service and then return it to Mrs. Nolte. You must complete an NHS service form for all service hours completed. No summer hours of any kind will be accepted. All of your hours must be done during the current school year.
- Tutoring Hours-Must be done through the Vogel Academic Support Center (424L) or the Library. Sign up for tutoring in the math office. If you do not have an off period, there are tutoring slots before school, after school, Late Start, and Homeroom. 🙂 No summer hours of any kind will be accepted. All of your hours must be done during the current school year.
- Docking-If you sign up for a tutoring slot or service slot and then you do not show up, you will be docked for your time. We have a large number of members that need to complete tutoring/service hours. And if you choose to skip your slot/time, you are taking that time away from another member.
- Probation-If you do not complete all of your hours during the school year, you will be on probation for the upcoming school year. The number of hours that you are short will be doubled and then you will have to finish that number of hours along with your senior year service/tutoring requirements.